Now Hiring: Executive Director
Open House New York seeks an energetic, confident leader to become its next Executive Director. The Executive Director will lead the organization into its next chapter, following years of growth that have positioned OHNY as an important platform for public education and engagement about architecture, planning, and design in New York City. The position offers an ideal opportunity to explore themes and issues related to the cultural, social, economic, and environmental future of New York City, as well as cities generally. The organization is committed to the true ideal of the “Open City” – one that is accessible, open, and equitable to all New Yorkers irrespective of their nationality, income level, race, or gender. As leader of a small staff, the successful candidate will be a self-directed person who is insightful and detail oriented, and able to problem-solve and effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Provide leadership and serve as the primary liaison with key OHNY constituents, including existing and potential funders, governing board, site sponsors, and other partner institutions
- Serve as lead fundraiser, working to ensure that OHNY continues to grow its financial capacity
- Provide guidance and oversight of programming and educational initiatives, and develop partnerships that enhance OHNY’s mission and expand its support base
- Serve as spokesperson for OHNY with media, related civic and cultural, government and business as needed, and especially during OHNY Weekend
- Manage staff, which includes 2-4 full-time individuals, consultants, and a part-time bookkeeper
- Passion for urbanism, architecture, design, and New York City (and the nonprofit world)
- Self-directed problem-solving skills with 7-10 years management experience, either in the nonprofit world, preferably in the arts and culture sector, or equivalent management experience in the private sector with knowledge of the New York City arts and culture sector
- An energetic, creative individual with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong track record of fundraising and financial accountability
- Experience working with boards and volunteers
- Strong record of interpersonal, mentoring and managerial skills, working with both internal and external partners
- Experience in developing and overseeing the implementation of new program initiatives
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize, working under tight deadlines
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills a must
- Event planning and marketing skills; festival experience an asset
- Experience with website oversight and development (content and information management)
- Graduate degree or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate experience required
Email resume and cover letter as a single PDF document to email@example.com with the subject line “Executive Director.” No phone calls please. Open House New York is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the diversity of the city we serve. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQIA, people with disabilities, and gender nonconforming candidates to apply. The deadline to apply is October 1, 2020.
About Open House New York
Through its year-round programs and the Annual OHNY Weekend, Open House New York provides broad audiences with unparalleled access to the buildings, infrastructure, and public spaces of New York City. OHNY celebrates the best examples of design and planning throughout the five boroughs, from historic to contemporary, and helps catalyze a conversation about the city’s future to sustain New York as a vibrant place to live, work, and learn.