Now Hiring: Development & Communications Manager
Development & Communications Manager (Full-time)
Extended Deadline: February 7
Open House New York seeks an energetic, entrepreneurial, and highly organized professional to serve as Development & Communications Manager. This position plays a central role in supporting and growing OHNY’s fundraising, outreach, and organizational visibility.
This position requires 5+ years of fundraising experience across a range of activities, including special events, individual giving, membership, sponsorship, and grant-writing plus a proven ability to draft clear and compelling messages across platforms and audiences, from donor correspondence to social media and press releases. The successful candidate will also bring a Swiss Army knife skill set, a desire to collaborate and build systems, and an aptitude for engaging diverse stakeholders. Knowledge of Salesforce is a must; fluency in Adobe Creative Suite is highly desired.
The Development & Communications Manager will be an integral part of a small but growing and ambitious team. This position will best suit a detail-oriented self-starter who is able to problem-solve and effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously. A sense of humor and optimism alongside ideas about New York’s future will also be important for this role.
The position is an ideal platform to explore themes and issues around the civic, physical, social, cultural, economic, and environmental future of cities in general and New York in particular. This is a unique opportunity to work at a fast-paced civic non-profit committed to catalyzing access, transparency, and equity across the five boroughs.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Support core fundraising activities including: membership, individual giving, special events, sponsorship, and grant writing
- Manage donor research, tracking, and correspondence through Salesforce—database experience is a must
- Maintain organizational and data systems to support membership, fundraising, and finances
- Coordinate logistics and production for special events, including Spring Benefit and OHNY Weekend Launch Party
- Author or co-author content for website, digital newsletter, donor materials, social media, and other communications platforms
- Recruit and manage volunteers to support special events as needed
- Respond to public inquiries (particularly around membership)
- Leverage communication strategies to expand and diversify OHNY’s audiences
- Additional administrative and operational duties as needed
Experience and Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience in fundraising required
- Track record of successful donor engagement, from prospect research to solicitation to stewardship
- Experience coordinating a variety of events, from intimate gatherings to large-scale galas
- Demonstrated track record growing audience on social media
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and work independently
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to initiate and maintain relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders including: Board members, donors, members, and program partners
- Must be both a strategic thinker and detail oriented
- Fluency with Microsoft Office, WordPress, and team platforms (Asana, Slack, etc.)
- Familiarity with online video conferencing platforms including Zoom, GoTo, etc.
- Ability to attend events in the evening and some weekends
- Must bring a commitment to racial equity and the principles of diversity, openness, and access
- Curiosity and passion for New York City
Please email a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org; please include Dev/Comm Manager + “Your Name” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. The deadline to apply is February 7, 2022. The anticipated start date is mid-March 2022.
Salary is commensurate with experience, in the range of $60,000—$75,000. Full benefits provided, including health insurance and retirement contribution. Open House New York encourages candidates from any and all backgrounds, nationalities, ethnicities, gender identities, and lived experiences to apply. We are an organization that is committed to diversity, equity, access, and inclusion in all aspects of our work, most importantly our team.
About Open House New York
Open House New York promotes broad, unparalleled access to the city—to the places, people, projects, systems and ideas that define New York and its future—and fosters civic dialogue about how the city functions and who it serves. Through year-round programming and the annual OHNY Weekend, which ranks among the largest public design festivals in the nation, Open House New York offers a citywide platform for public education and engagement. For more information, visit ohny.org.