OHNY Weekend Conversation Partners
Open House New York and The International Center invite OHNY volunteers to apply for the second annual OHNY Weekend Conversation Partners. Launched in 2018, this collaboration uses the history, architecture, and culture of New York City to help immigrants and other new New Yorkers build their English language skills and knowledge about the city.
The six-week program, culminating in Open House New York Weekend on October 18-20, will match an OHNY volunteer with an English language learner to practice conversation once a week, on themes and topics related to the physical city. Volunteers will receive training, a curriculum and handouts covering different themes about architecture and the city, and ongoing support.
As a conversation partner, you will:
- Meet one-on-one with an English language learner to practice conversation for one hour a week for six weeks, beginning the week of September 9, 2019
- Help build confidence, communication skills, vocabulary and pronunciation
- Participate in Open House New York Weekend, October 18-20, 2019
- Receive curriculum, training, and ongoing support
We are looking for volunteers who are:
- Native English speakers
- Knowledgeable about New York City
- Interested in and respectful of other cultures
- Welcoming and friendly
- Collaborative, reliable, punctual, and flexible
- Available at least one hour a week for six weeks
- Able to attend a 3-hour training on the evening of August 15, 2019
Application Deadline: August 2, 2019
Please note, this is a highly competitive program, with only ten slots available. If you have questions, please email us at email@example.com.